PST: Check The Weather

               PST: CHECK THE WEATHER 
                                      March 25, 2018


I've decided to take on a new little segment within The Collection, and I've settled on calling it PST. The acronym stands for Photo Shoot Tips, but it's also a little play on words like:

"Psst I have something to tell you"

So with that short and sweet introduction, I'll get into my first tip: Always Check the Weather!

Don't let the sun fool you, just because it's shining doesn't mean it's warm out.

Recently, in the "Very Vinyl" shoot, I asked my model to wear shorts, a crop tank, a thin vinyl coat, and booties. Even though the sun was out and it was a seemingly beautiful day, it was actually about 30 degrees. Not warm at all.

Neither my model or I were properly dressed, but we went ahead and shot anyways. I can honestly say the weather had a very negative impact on my ability to shoot and her ability to model and be comfortable. She was stiff and rightfully freezing, I was quick to move on from shots and lacked focus.

We shot on the football field of my university which could have made for some cool and artsy shots, but I wasted the opportunity by forcing a "summer shoot" in the winter. I'm pretty sure it was the first time the sun had shone in a while and I got a little bit ahead of myself!

If you do find yourself in a situation like this, just make sure you let your model know that they can call it quits whenever they are ready. Asking her to pose in pretty icy temps in barely nothing was inconsiderate of me, but I was sure to let her know that when she was too cold, I was fine with ending the shoot.

We came out with a few decent pictures, but it's not exactly what I was hoping for.

So instead of trying to work with the weather, my advice to you is to work around it. Find indoor spaces, new locations, and push your limits elsewhere. But, trying to force a shoot, will most likely not get you the results you want!


Comments

Popular Posts